Demo Crashes on Startup

Report your bugs here.

Moderators: Frank, paul, Hiwot, Chris, peter

antiskid

Demo Crashes on Startup

Postby antiskid » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:36 pm

Hi,

I installed the current 20-sim demo download from the website on my xp-professional workstation, but it crashes on startup.

vwnt.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.

AppName: vwnt.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00010f29

Any ideas?

Thanks,

James R. Phillips

antiskid

Font Problem

Postby antiskid » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:15 pm

OK, nevermind, I guess it was the known sensitivity to errors in the font directory. Seem to have fixed that now.

jrp

jdejong

Postby jdejong » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:28 am

I have the same problem. I tried to install the demo several times without success, on two different winXP computers. How to solve this problem?

paul

Postby paul » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:21 pm

jdejong wrote:I have the same problem. I tried to install the demo several times without success, on two different winXP computers. How to solve this problem?

We found a small bug in our use of the the install program (InstallShield) that generates the problem that you describe on some XP machines. Within a couple of days there will be a new build on the internet (build 11). Please download this version form the internet and try again.

If this does not solve your problem, please have a look at the described solution of the XP fonts problem:

You're right about font problems in XP. We are working on this to improve the situation. Until then you can run this freeware utility from High-Logic to do some checking on the installed fonts:
http://www.high-logic.com/fifofo.zip

This will show and, if you want, fix all kind of font problems with your XP system. Hope this helps.
member 20-sim development team

jdejong

Postby jdejong » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:04 pm

I have again downloaded the demo.

The program still does not start :( . The install was succesful, but when I start 20sim I see a small box "Initializing 20-Sim..." in the center of the screen. Then on my computer (AMD processor, Packard Bell computer) the processor usage goes to 100% and noting else happens (caused by a process "VWNT.EXE"). On my other computer (Intel processor, Dell computer) the same happens except that the program directly crashes.

Both computers are very new and have windowsXP.

paul

Postby paul » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:03 am

jdejong wrote:The program still does not start :(

Very sorry to hear this! The good news is that we finally isolated the error in the installation script. It causes the Windows Installer in certain occasions to do only a half job during the installation of 20-sim! If this is the case, you could try to start the 3Deditor.exe directly. This would then finish the installation and as a result 20-sim is fully installed and runs ok afterwards.

This rather persistent installation bug is now fixed and there is a new build 3.6.11 on our website that you can download. Please run it and let us know if this works instantly as it should.

download: http://www.20sim.com/downloads/downloadform.html
build info: http://www.20sim.com/downloads/builds.html

Paul.

jdejong

Postby jdejong » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:31 am

Re-downloaded & installed 20Sim again (and checked if it is build 3.6.11), but still the same problem.

I have also runned the program 3Dmechanics.exe first - that works perfect (I couldn't find 3Deditor.exe but I guess you mean this one). But after that 20sim itself still can not start.

paul

Postby paul » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:47 pm

jdejong wrote:Re-downloaded & installed 20Sim again (and checked if it is build 3.6.11), but still the same problem.

I have also runned the program 3Dmechanics.exe first - that works perfect (I couldn't find 3Deditor.exe but I guess you mean this one). But after that 20sim itself still can not start.

Sorry to hear this, this is a bit strange. Please contact us directly so we can do our best solve your problem, either by phone or by email to info@20sim.com. If you ask for my name I will try to help you personally.

Paul

paul

Re: Demo Crashes on Startup

Postby paul » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:14 pm

The new 20-sim 4.0 is now officially released.
This new version is based on a new platform and fixes all kind of problems that XP and Vista users experienced in the past and that were difficult to fix with the 3.6 version. It also has proper support for Vista, download it here: http://ww.20sim.com/downloads/downloadform.html

Return to “Bugs”